With the weather getting cooler, leaves turning all shades of fall, apples and pumpkins everywhere – it is time for easy fall crafts for kids!
Immerse your kids in the spirit of fall with this easy Paper Plate Scarecrow Craft. Scarecrow crafts are a must for every autumn lover! It is a super easy craft to make with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners as well as older kids.
Scarecrow crafts make for a wonderful activity for kids who like getting creative and is a playful way to get little fingers practising fine motor skills. Perfect to include in classrooms or do at home, scarecrow crafts for kids are always a delight to make!
Paper Plate Scarecrow Craft For Kids
You don’t need anything fancy for this easy, kid-friendly autumn craft! Simple craft supplies go a long way in making this scarecrow craft. And the best part, you can easily fix it in under 10 minutes!
Scarecrow Craft Supplies
• Brown paper plate
• Pipe cleaners
• Goggly eyes
• Black marker
• Brown cardboard paper
• Construction paper in Red, Yellow & Orange colour
How To Make Paper Plate Scarecrow
1. Using a marker, draw a big hat on the brown paper plate. Cut it out to make the hat template for the scarecrow.
2. Paste orange construction paper on the brown paper plate hat template. Cut the extra paper off using scissors.
3. Cut a thin strip out of yellow construction paper to make a band for the hat and paste it on the hat. Your scarecrow’s hat is now ready.
4. To make the hair of your paper scarecrow craft, cut 2 rectangles from yellow construction paper and brown cardboard paper. Fold them into half and make long cuts with scissors to make the hair.
5. Paste the hair on a brown paper plate with the yellow construction paper facing inside on the plate.
6. Paste the hat on the paper plate to complete the head and hair of the scarecrow.
7. Cut a small triangle from yellow craft paper to make the scarecrow’s nose.
8. Glue the paper nose and goggly eyes on the paper plate.
9. Take an orange pipe cleaner and bend it into a zigzag shape to add to your scarecrow’s hat.
10. Use a purple pipe cleaner and cut it into one-third. Slightly bend it to resemble a smile and paste it below the nose of the scarecrow to complete its mouth.
11. Cut two small rectangles from red construction paper to make the ribbon for the scarecrow’s hat. Fold them in half and paste on the band of the hat.
12. Use the remaining purple pipe cleaner and roll it to make a quaver note shape or any other shape of your choice. Paste it on the ribbon of the hat to add cuteness to your scarecrow craft.
13. Lastly give a goofy grin to your scarecrow by cutting two white teeth from white paper. Paste them below the pipe cleaner mouth to complete the look.
That’s all! Your cute scarecrow is ready to ward off birds! Well…not really! We think it is way too cute and colourful to scare any birds. Stick it onto your bulletin board or hang it on your door to celebrate fall as well as welcome thanksgiving!
Related: Also check out these adorable Pumpkin Crafts for Kids that are just right for autumn crafts!
You can even attach it to wooden dowels or craft sticks and plant them in your pots or garden for more fun! We bet it will look just adorable and straight out of Wizard of Oz!
This super-cute paper plate scarecrow is sure to get your home & classroom ready to celebrate thanksgiving! It makes for a great craft with a few easy to find simple supplies, so do give it a try!
To notch up the fun and extend your crafty mornings, we suggest to team up this fun halloween cum thanksgiving craft with Scarecrow books for kids. Also make sure to bring in humour with these Clean Thanksgiving Jokes.
Scarecrow Books For Kids
It is a great idea to club Scarecrow books with your fall unit. Delightful and entertaining, these books about scarecrows will grab your little one’s attention and charm them.
This is a perfect Scarecrow book for little learners and must read fall book for kids. Its beautiful illustrations and lovely rhyme is sure to mesmerise toddlers and preschoolers.
This is cute story of a scarecrow who, besides scaring off others, is itself sacred of…well, everything! Be it crows, bats or even farm animals – everything scares scardycrow till it learns an important lesson in friendship & bravery.
Perfect read for kids ages 3 to 5 years.
This is a fun rhyming story that is sure to delight kids. It is about scarecrow Sam who is allergic to feathers and decides to be someone else instead of being a scarecrow.
A story of courage, discovery and most importantly embracing your own self, Sam the Sneezing Scarecrow is a must read.
Recommended for kids 5 years and above.
This is a motivating story about a scarecrow who has a talent for singing but is too afraid to sing. With friends to encourage the scarecrow to overcome self-doubt, the story takes a turn in teaching a lesson on taking chances and being brave.
Suitable for kids 5 years and above.
This book will leave its readers feeling warm and fuzzy inside! A wonderful tale of adventure and quest for friendship, Solomon Scarecrow & The Great Adventure gives important lessons on friendship and helping others.
Perfect for kindergarten and older kids.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links, which means that I earn a minuscule commission if you purchase.