Kids love fun facts! So much that they remember them long after and take great pride at bragging about them in trivia question sessions.
They are always eager to learn interesting facts (or mind bending fun riddles!) to share among friends and family.
To sate your and their thirst for amazing facts, we have rounded up some amazing fun facts for kids that will bemuse them (and you!).
What’s more, you can make cool trivia questions out of these weird but true facts for a fun family night!
Table of Contents:
Weird Facts About Weather
1. Did you know there are nearly 2,000 thunderstorms on Earth every minute?
2. Clouds look white because they are reflecting sunlight from above them.
3. A bolt of lightning is five times hotter than the sun!!
4. The fastest recorded raindrop travelled at the speed of 18 mph!
5. Did you know that you can estimate the temperature of a place by the number of times some crickets chirp in a second? Weird but true!!
6. An avalanche can travel upto the speed of 80 mph!
Fun Facts About Animals
7. Porcupines can float.
8. Did you know a hippopotamus can run faster than a man?
9. Octopuses have blue blood and nine brains!
10. Insects have inhabited the Earth for about 350 million years while humans have been here for only 300,000 years.
11. A hippo’s lips are nearly two feet wide.
12. Gorilla’s burp when they are happy!
13. Hippopotamus produces pink milk.
14. Did you know some salamanders can regrow their tails, legs and even parts of their eyes!!
15. There are no male or female earthworms. All earthworms have both male and female parts.
16. Kangaroos can’t walk backwards.
17. A chameleon’s tongue is at least as long as its body.
18. Weird but true – Cockroaches have white blood!
19. A male Ostrich can roar like a Lion! Weird but true…
20. Did you know slugs have four noses?!
21. Cows can walk up the stairs but can’t get down!
22. Hummingbirds can fly backwards.
23. A prawn’s heart is located at the bottom of its head!
24. Bees are found everywhere in the world except Antarctica. Learn more about Bees here!
25. Weird but true – Horses and cows sleep while standing up!
26. Believe it or not, Caterpillars have 12 eyes!!
27. Did you know Monkeys can go bald in old age, just like humans?!
28. The female hummingbird builds the world’s smallest bird’s nest – about the size of a walnut!
29. A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out!
30. Dogs can hear 10 times better than humans!
31. It’s physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky…weird but true!
32. Did you know an ostrich’s brain is smaller than it’s eye!!
33. A pet hamster can run up to 8 miles a night on a wheel.
34. Every dog’s nose print is unique – much like a human fingerprint!
35. Weird but true – Only male toads croak!
36. Dogs can smell nearly 100,000 times better than humans!!
37. Owls can’t move their eyeballs!
38. Did you know Elephants are the only animals that can’t jump!
39. Did you know Shark does not have bones? Instead its skeleton is made of cartilage. Learn more amazing facts about Sharks here.
40. Squid, Octopus, Horseshoe crabs have blue blood!!
41. Some fish can cough! Weird but true!
42. Weird but true – Cat urine glows under a black light!
43. Nearly 10 percent of all of a cat’s bones are in its tail.
44. A fox uses its tail to communicate with other foxes.
45. Snails take the longest naps with some lasting as long as three years.
Uncover more amazing facts about animal’s sleep patterns here.
46. Sea Lions are the only animals that can clap to a beat.
47. Cats can’t taste anything that is sweet.
48. Some hummingbirds can weigh less than a penny!
49. Bats are the only mammals that can fly.
50. Did you know Panda droppings could be recycled into paper!
51. A blue whale’s heart can weigh upto 2000 pounds!
52. A beefalo is a part cow, part bison!
53. A coyote can hear a mouse moving almost a foot under the snow!!
54. Did you know a grizzly bear can run as fast as a horse?
55. The colossal squid has the largest eyes in the world.
56. Anteaters have no teeth! Weird but true!
57. Did you know baby elephants suck their trunks (much like human babies suck their thumbs) for comfort?
58. Weird but true…all clownfish are born male. They have the ability to change their sex later on and that change is irreversible!!
59. Did you know sea otters hold hands as they sleep? It keeps them from floating away in the sea while they sleep.
60. Mystery snails can regenerate their eyes completely after amputation through the mid-eyestalk?!
61. Sloths are excellent swimmers and can hold their breath for upto forty minutes underwater!!
You know what else is fun besides these fun facts? Knock Knock Jokes for kids! Check them out for bouts of laughter.
Crazy Space Facts For Kids
62. Proxima Centauri is the nearest star to the Earth.
63. Applesauce was the first food eaten in space by astronauts.
64. Venus is the only planet that spins clockwise!
65. It would take 70,000 years in the fastest spaceship to reach the Sun! That’s how far it is!
66. It takes eight minutes and 19 seconds for light to travel from the Sun to Earth.
67. A neutron star can spin 600 times in one second.
68. Age of most of the stars is between 1 and 10 billion years old.
69. Did you know one day on Venus is almost as long as 8 months on Earth?
70. The first living creatures intentionally sent into space were fruit flies!
71. Olympus Mons is the tallest planetary mountain in the Solar system. It is nearly 2.5 times the Mount Everest’s height above sea level.
72. There is no sound in space!
73. Footprints on the Moon can last for 100 million years! Weird but true…
74. Ham the Astrochimp was the first hominid in space!
75. It takes Jupiter only 10 hours to complete a rotation around its axis, making it the fastest spinning planet in the solar system.
76. The Great Red Spot of Jupiter is a storm that has been raging for over 200 years!
77. Did you know If you could travel at the speed of light, you would never get any older?!
78. There are more stars in space than there are grains of sand on a beach! Strange but true…
79. Did you know Pluto got its name from an 11-year-old girl, Venetia Burney of Oxford?
80. You cannot walk on Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn or Uranus!! These planets are mostly made of gases and don’t have a solid surface.
81. Contrary to what is popularly believed, Earth is not shaped like a perfect sphere! It bulges out at the equator looking more like a “squished ball”. Weird but true!
82. Did you know Neptune has the fastest winds in the solar system? It’s winds reach an astonishing speed of 1600 mph!
Interesting Food Facts
83. Did you know you can buy pyramid shaped watermelons in Japan!
84. First Candy Canes had no stripes at all! Can you believe that?
85. A jar of Nutella sells every 2.5 seconds!
86. The world’s longest French fry is 34-inches long.
87. Believe it or not, Peanuts are not nuts! They are part of the legumes family.
88. Strange but true…Potatoes were once used as currency on the South Atlantic island of Tristan da Cunha!!
89. French fries originated in Belgium, not France.
90. Ice cream was once called “cream ice.”
91. Almonds are members of the peach family.
92. Tomatoes are actually fruits, not vegetables!!
93. It takes about 50 licks to finish just one scoop of ice cream.
94. Apples are one-quarter air. No wonder why they float!
95. Did you know ketchup was once sold as a medicine?
96. The world’s heaviest carrot weighed 10.7kg!
97. Did you know ripe cranberries can bounce like a ball.
Weird But True Facts!
98. New Zealand has more sheep than people.
99. Weird but true – Nearly 75% of the human brain comprises of water!
100. Did you know some perfumes actually have whale poop in them? Weird but true!
101. Russia is just around 2.5 miles away from Alaska! Well, that is the distance between two small islands in the Bering Strait, namely, Big Diomede (owned by Russia) and Little Diomede (owned by the US)!
102. Believe it or not – In Whales, United Kingdom, it is possible to compete in an underwater mountain bike race!!
103. There are more television sets in the United States of America than the number of people in the United Kingdom.
104. Did you know the Eiffel Tower grows taller every summer and shrinks back in winter?!
105. An average yawn is nearly six seconds long.
106. Before 1913, it was possible for parents to mail their kids to their grandparents through postal services. Imagine being mailed to your grandparent’s house!!
107. Number four is the only one with the same amount of letters!
108. It is illegal to stand within 90 metres of distance from the Queen without socks on.
109. Australia is home to 11 per cent of the world’s 6,300 reptile species making it the continent with the most number of reptiles!
110. Weird but true – The opposite sides of the dice always add up to seven!!
111. The “sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick” is believed to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
112. Did you know rubber bands last longer when refrigerated?!
113. Vatican City is the smallest country in the world.
114. Over 1 billion hours of YouTube videos are watched every day! That’s more than the amount of Netflix and Facebook videos combined together!
115. According to Google data, there are 129,864,880 unique books in the world!
116. The most expensive book in the world was sold at a whopping price of $30.8 million to Bill Gates. It was written by Italian polymath Leonardo Da Vinci.
117. Believe it or not but some cars can run on used french fries oil!
118. Cuba and North Korea are the only countries in the world where you cannot buy or sell Coca-Cola.
119. You can buy a piece of meteorite from eBay…Weird but true!
Amazing Facts About Human Body
120. Your nose and ears keep growing your entire life!
121. Your heart is about the same size as your fist.
122. Your skin is the largest body organ!
123. There are a billion bacteria in your mouth at any time!
124. Women’s hearts beat faster than men’s.
125. Human Eyes can detect about 10 million different colours!
126. Wearing headphones for just an hour could increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
127. Human blood is as salty as the ocean. Weird but true…
128. Fingernails can grow four times faster than toenails.
129. Humans are the only animals with chins.
130. Humans not only have unique fingerprints but also unique tongue-prints!
131. Most people fall asleep in seven minutes.
132. Eyelashes can live for about 150 days before falling out.
133. In the course of an average lifetime, you might eat around 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders, or more while sleeping.
134. You can’t smell anything while asleep!
135. You fart on average 14 times a day, and each fart travels from your body at 7 mph.
136. Did you know you use 200 different muscles in the body to walk?!
137. Every minute, your entire blood passes through your heart!
138. Did you know you are as tall as the length of your arms stretched out?
139. Our nose is a natural lie detector…it gets warmer as we lie! Weird but true!
140. Human eyes are made of nearly 2 million working parts.
141. Your heart beats about 115,000 times every day.
142. The human body is made up of about 724 trillion cells!
143. It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
144. Did you know It is impossible to lick your own elbow?!
History Fun Facts
145. Babe Ruth was the first baseball player to hit a home run in the All-Star game, at Chicago’s Comiskey Park in 1933.
Learn more about this baseball star and other famous sportsmen with Kid friendly Biographies About Sportspeople.
146. If you would unwrap an Egyptian Mummy, it’s bandages can stretch upto 1.6km! Weird but true…
147. Did you know Easter Island houses 887 giant head statues that were carved nearly 2000 years ago?!
148. Black Death wiped out nearly 75 million Europeans, that’s more than one-third of Europe’s population, in the Middle Ages!
149. The Pyramid of Khufu at Giza is the largest Egyptian pyramid and weighs as much as 16 Empire State buildings!
150. Did you know theatre was invented by ancient Greeks?!
151. Ancient Egyptians had more than 2,000 deities whom they worshipped!
152. Hedy Lamarr, the American actress who starred in 30 films, was also an inventor! She co-invented an early version of frequency-hopping spread spectrum communication, which paved the way to modern day Wi-Fi.
153. Nearly six million Jews were killed in World War-II.
154. It took nearly 1500 years to build Stonehenge.
155. Spain, Sweden and Switzerland remained neutral in World War -II and did not join any side.
156. Did you know Ancient Rome not only had male gladiators but also female gladiators?! A female gladiator was called a Gladiatrix, or Gladiatrices.
157. Ching Shih is believed to be the world’s most successful pirate in history and was a woman!
158. George Washington opened a whiskey distillery after his presidential term.
159. Weird but true – At ancient Olympics, athletes performed naked!
160. Did you know people made clothes out of food sacks during the Great Depression?
161. Russia ran out of vodka while celebrating the end of World War II! The party lasted for nearly 22 hours.
162. Pineapples were a status symbol in 18th century’s England! Weird but true…
163. Ancient Greeks believed redheads become vampires after death!
164. Weird but true – The ancient Romans often used stale urine as mouthwash!! Yuck!!
165. India was the only source of diamonds till 1896!
166. Mayan people worshipped turkeys as Gods!! Weird but true…
167. Did you know before becoming the 40th American President, Ronald Wilson Reagan served as a lifeguard and saved around 77 people from drowning!
168. Did you know it was popular for Viking men to dye their hair blonde?! Some went further and even dyed their beards!
169. Abraham Lincoln – the 16th American President was a licensed bartender. He was also a wrestling champion too!
170. Frida Kahlo, the famous Mexican painter, sketched and painted 143 paintings, out of which 55 were self-portraits.
We bet you enjoyed this list of interesting facts for kids as much as we enjoyed penning them. These facts for kids are just perfect ice-breakers and great fun way to stimulate your kid’s brain!
Just sprinkle these weird but true facts in your daily conversations with kids and watch your kids build their brain power!